Thursday, March 24, 2011

Does Love Conquer All?

We are starting Romeo and Juliet with my ninth graders. So therefore we are talking about LOVE! What a pleasant topic to talk about with a bunch of hormone-ridden teenagers. :)

It really can be fun to talk and hear their opinions about something that is ALWAYS on their mind. They do become interested quickly.

There was one in particular today that really made it worth it. After asking them if they think older people are wrong when they tell younger people that love can't solve everything and that the kids need to be more responsible, this is one's response:

"No. You're wrong. Love can solve anything. You guys are just mad because you guys are old and we are young and we can still run, jump, laugh, and doorbell ditch and you guys can't do that."

And after I got over the offense that he was calling me old (come on, I'm not THAT old), I thought that maybe he's got a point. When we get older we lose the chance to be wild and crazy, or even be active without being extremely sore in the morning. And I can't doorbell ditch anymore and I've never even thought about trying it for quite some time now. Perhaps I am getting old. Who knew you could judge your youth by doorbell ditching?

1 comment:

Jons and Celeste Leigh said...

Priceless. I'm a little bit jealous that you get to tackle that topic with ninth graders--good times. And hey, we aren't old...me and Matthew will doorbell ditch with you ;)